About the LSNA
The Lafayette Square Neighborhood Association (LSNA) is a nonprofit organization, which seeks to facilitate the preservation and redevelopment of Lafayette Square, respecting its special historic character and enhancing its overall livability.
LSNA members, volunteers, and donors are a driving force behind the amenities we have in the Square. Benefits to residents, as well as the broader community, include:
- Capital improvements - such as installation of historic street and stop signs, gates, and urns; and maintenance of the fountain and Park House
- Events - such as Light up the Square
- Beautification - such as landscaping along medians and in the Fountain Plaza
- Communications - such as maintaining the website and publication of the quarterly Marquis
- Safety - such as liaising with community police officers, supporting the police substation, and working with alderman on traffic improvements
- Upkeep on the Park House
- Upkeep of the Plaza Fountain
- Maintaining connections with city officials, the business community, and outside organizations who hold events in the Square
- Donations to educational and charitable non-profits in and near Lafayette Square
- ...and much more!
Members new and old describe pride and gratitude for living in our beautiful Square, excitement and commitment toward community engagement, and opportunity for connection with neighbors as several of the reasons they join the LSNA and renew year after year. If you are not already a member of our neighborhood association, please consider joining!
...are held at 7:00 PM on the second Wednesday of every month at SqWires Annex. These meetings are the best opportunity to learn about what is happening in the neighborhood and to hear from representatives of other neighborhood and community organizations: Lafayette Park Conservancy, Arts Council, Lafayette Prep Academy, Barr Branch Library, etc. Aldermen and our neighborhood police officer frequently attend as well. Meetings are generally kept to one hour with a second hour of socializing and enjoying complimentary refreshments from SqWires. Of course, we hope you will join the LSNA! However, everyone in the neighborhood is welcome at membership meetings.
are held at 7:00 PM on the first Tuesday of each month at the Park House located at the corner of Mississippi and Lafayette.
The LSNA supports many neighborhood activities. We provide:
- Neighborhood Directory
- Neighborhood Meetings
- Lafayette Square website
- The Marquis, published four times per year
- Beautification and Maintenance of Public Spaces
- Capital Improvements
- Development Committee
- Problem Properties Committee
- House and Garden Tours
- National Night Out
- Light Up the Square
- James L. "Jim" King Annual Pet Parade
- Holiday Marketplace
- Neighborhood social gatherings
- Special Events
- Block Captains
- Police Substation
- Security Initiatives and Updates
The Business Affairs Committee is a committee of the LSNA and represents an eclectic mix of small businesses working together to promote healthy local commerce. Members of the Business Committee must be business owners in Lafayette Square and must be members.