The Lafayette Square Community Garden, created in 1997 at the corner of Park and Dolman Avenues in Lafayette Square, provides a site for residents to grow fresh healthy foods, fresh flowers, and herbs in the company of friends and neighbors. It stimulates interest in gardening and promotes a sense of community and environmental awareness. Gardeners have grown a multitude of vegetables, herbs and annual and perennial flowers; there have been paper makers, natural dye makers and herbalists give demonstrations. Whatever your interests, we welcome you to join us on a first come, first served basis.
The Community Garden was purchased and placed in the Gateway Greening Land Trust in 2008. The Lafayette Square Garden was the first in St. Louis to enter into this type of agreement. In 2013, adjacent land to the north was also purchased and placed in the Gateway Greening Land Trust.
As part of this cooperation with the Land Trust, we made these agreements:
- allow the lots to remain a community garden
- maintain the beauty of that corner
- increase the number of beds
- replace the wooden fence with iron fencing in accordance with the Lafayette Square Historic Code
- make space available for all to enjoy when gardening or socializing
The Main Garden is located at 1701-1707 Park Avenue. The North Garden is located at 1319 Dolman Avenue.